Friday, December 7, 2007

Libraries

One of the things I miss most about the United States? The Dewey Decimal System. So familiar, so easy. The book classification system used here (and I don't know what it's called, though I'm sure one of you does) I find completely impenetrable.

Having said that, I am so grateful to the Camden borough for having liberal library policies. We have borrowed probably 50 books, in English and German, from our local public library, mostly for Abby. Bless them. The University libraries I'm not so fond of - the one at the School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine isn't bad, because it's small, but the Senate House library is crazy! It's a warren of tiny rooms filled with books using this mysterious classification system. And the entrance is on the 4th floor (that would be the 5th for Americans) and the building's elevators hardly ever work. You need one staircase to get to the 2nd floor, another to get to the 4th, a 3rd to get to the 5th, and yet another to get to the 6th, which is as high as I ever went.

No comments: