Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I love trains

The "new" St. Pancras international train station opened up last month, and it is beautiful. I just wish we were leaving London by train instead of having to deal with Heathrow. Unfortunately, flying was way cheaper than taking the train for us. This is one of the entrances to the train station. St. Pancras was built at the end of the 1800s, in the Victorian era. They knew how to do public works.
One of the new additions is this statue. It's called, "Meet me at St. Pancras."
One of the interesting design elements of the station is that most of the shops and restaurants are under the tracks. I am guessing that's because, back in the 1890s, there weren't mini shopping malls in every train station the way there are today.

Now that the Eurostar has moved to St. Pancras it's 2 hours and 15 minutes from London to Paris. It's nice to know that I COULD be in Paris by midnight tonight (it's shortly before 9 p.m. when I'm writing). I'm not going to be, but it's nice to know that I could.

No comments: